Friday, December 08, 2006

The Heart Of The Matter

It was my first time so I was a little nervous about it all, I suppose everyone is a bit scared of the unknown. She dimmed the lights and gently guided me through the whole process and before I knew it we were finished.

"How are you?", she said as she stood up and slowly walked away from the bed.

I replied, "Great. You did all the work and I just had to lay back and relax."

She smiled politely, threw me a box of tissues and told me to get cleaned up and put my clothes back on. As soon as I was dressed she put her arm around my shoulder and ushered me into the brightly lit room next door.

When my eyes finally adjusted to bright white light I scanned the room and realised she was gone, I was in an office and a grubby little man was asking me for payment. I handed over the cash and left quickly.
Slightly dazed and confused I strolled back to my car- feeling every beat of my heart more than ever before.
I suppose now is an appropriate time to point out that I had an Echocardiogram (ECG) this morning.
My test today involved a woman, who I can only assume was a doctor, squirting some gel on my chest and prodding my ribs with an ultrasound camera. Clearly this isn't as interesting as my initial description may have led you to believe.




Despite my melodramatic self diagnosis of a broken heart I have been assured everything is fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You dirty dirty boy...

Anonymous said...

i love innuendo...i wish you had have kept it going a bit longer i felt like i was almost there, but you had to stop so soon before i could satisfy my imagination.