Sunday, June 11, 2006

Cause Of Death: Drowning



I know it’s a sad cliché to write about the fantastic party you just went to, the same thing can be said about telling drunken stories to your friends... no one really cares. But this story is different, its a story about family bonding and artistic expression- well actually its just about getting drunk and doing bad karaoke.

Last night I attended the inaugural 'Cousins Night', what is 'Cousins Night' you may ask? It is a night where all my cousins (of legal drinking age) get together and partake in drinking related stupidity. A highlight of the night was the Sing Star competition, for those of you who don’t know Sing Star is a Playstation game that is basically competitive karaoke. The initial trepidation from all the cousins was short lived; the Italian blood soon took over and we became very competitive belting out each successive tune with more and more gusto. We were playing with the 'Sing Star - Rock Edition' and at the conclusion of the night we decided that what we really needed was a 'Sing Star - Wog Edition' with all the Italian classics. This brilliant idea was spawned after a 3am backyard performance of ‘That’s Amore' led by my brother, I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed that I know ALL the words by heart.

Being the youngest cousin present I took it upon myself to set the drinking standard for the night, after consuming 1 bottle of Vodka by myself I came to the very astute conclusion that this might not have been the best idea. Subsequently there are significant portions of my memory that are missing, however its probably for the best because I vaguely recall performing 'La Vie Boheme' from the Musical RENT to a captive audience including my sister, who I have never seen look so horrified.

After crossing the point where it is no longer appropriate to call it night time, approximately 4am, the red wine came out, and yes, I continued to drink. Unfortunately my better judgement had died earlier in the evening. Cause of death: It drowned in Vodka.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sing Star - Wog Edition, I'd buy that!

Anonymous said...

Im onto eBay right now looking for that Italian version of Sing Star!

Anonymous said...

That's hysterical! I only discovered your blog this morning, but am hooked.

I've had similar evenings of drunken revelry, only we incorporated SingStar, Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution... it was almost a full band. Thank god there were no photos! Haha.