Monday, September 11, 2006

Something Stinks

Today I found myself in a place I like to call "The Last Minute Twilight Zone".

It's a strange but familiar place, I find myself here on the eve of every major deadline in my life. Today is the day before yet another giant assessment task is due. I awoke this morning with a headache that could have tranquilized an elephant and I realised I was headed for another journey into the twilight zone, filled with caffeine hallucinations and piles of notes that seem to be written in a language that only Mel Gibson could understand.

Every day that I stumble into school to hand in a piece of assessment that is the result of frantic last minute keyboard bashing I promise myself that next time I wont let this happen, next time I'll start working on the project earlier, next time I'll remember how horrible I felt, next time I won't waste time downloading the Paris Hilton sex tape instead of doing my work. But just like my New Years resolution to volunteer at a shelter for blind cats, it just never seems to happen.

Last time I found myself on a 20 hour assignment marathon in the last minute twilight zone I managed to craft quite a convincing string of bulls***. With the assistance of numerous 'Energy Drinks' and approximately 19 freddo frogs I put together a 33 page document that I'm proud to admit wasn't bad- in fact I got my highest mark all year for that last minute piece of work. This time I don't think there will be a happy ending.

Today I got so desperate to generate some content that I resorted to 'reworking' pieces of old assignments into this one. While digging through my old work I discovered a interesting trend. A lot of my assignments this year have been plans and proposals of some type, and a lot of times I've had to come up with fictitious staff names to put in these documents, if you look at the names as they appear in chronological order you get a concise list of all the people I've wanted to 'get to know better' over the last 8 months- interesting list.

I also discovered that jamming pieces of old work together and tacking on some new bulls*** is probably not the smartest idea, but I sit here now looking at a 24 pages of work neatly stacked on the desk in front of me. Although the quality is questionable to say the least. My mother just entered the room to say goodnight and as she left she turned back screwed up her face and blurted out-

'Something stinks in here!'

Good observation Mum, what you can smell is the steaming pile of s*** that I'm handing in tomorrow. It's either that or the pungent stench of a man who has just spent a day in the personal hygiene free world of the last minute twilight zone.

Help me Mel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I blame the education system.

I too am a procrastinator, and often applied for extensions only to do things at the last possible moment. Strangely enough I still got good marks, thus enforcing in my mind that last minute is just as good as a planned and paced approach...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.