Saturday, September 02, 2006

Don't Be Jealous

Last Friday after a day which of feeling sorry for myself, avoiding homework, and eating every sugar based foodstuff in my house, I decided to start my weekend in spectacular fashion. I attended a trivia night- with my parents.

Don’t be jealous, I know that it must crush you to know that at the age of 22 I have such a thriving social life. I’m a lucky man.

The local community centre was decked out in the best decorations $2.50 can buy and the crowd of middle aged trivia enthusiasts was buzzing with anticipation- on second thought the buzzing could have been coming from the 1970’s PA system.

I was thrilled to learn that my team would not only include my parents but also an esteemed member of the local council who, I am honoured to say, sat next to me. Due to her constant twitching, inability to maintain eye contact, and the fact that she was having a conversation with herself for most of the night I drew the conclusion that she had probably lived under a staircase for the first 20 years of her life, but she sure came in handy for those questions about Stockholm syndrome.

A professional trivia company was hired to run the event; they specialized in adding a multimedia component to the night. During the ‘Guess That Song’ portion of the evening the host, dressed in his best parachute pants, pressed play on the portable boom box and held his microphone to the speaker- very high tech.

I never got bored because there was always someone new and interesting to chat to. It was refreshing to meet such an honest group of people, not afraid to ask me if I had any ‘special friends’, and more than happy point out how strange it is to see someone my age with braces.

Unfortunately my esteemed team didn’t with the trivia night, but that’s ok. It’s far more important to have a good time. My parents sure enjoyed themselves; I was designated driver for the evening so they were free to have few drinks. It was good to see them relax, it’s not every night you get to hear the story of your accidental conception- they are such a funny pair.

It’s hard to put into words just how much fun I had that night. The memories will stay with me... FOREVER!!!

I just broke the ‘!’ button on my keyboard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a lucky thing, aren't you! I have no need to be jealous, my life is just as fun filled. I recently was blessed with singular pleasure of being the designated driver for my parents' wedding anniversary dinner. Oh the highjinks they got up to at uni with all they're friends, jumping on each others beds like trampolines.

At least I assume that's what they meant by, quote, "so much bed hopping every girl's bed frame was broken by the end of the year".

Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd. The pain of an irreversible grammatical error.